So if you haven’t seen Disney’s Zootopia you are missing out on a great movie. Not the best Disney movie but a great one with a heartwarming meaning behind it, and saying that I noticed the huge donut that almost crushed the little mouse, but Judy Hopps saves the day and grabs the donut before it crushes her! Awesome right?
So I thought how cool would it be to make the donuts, but instead of donuts, change it to sugar cookies! Now, unfortunately, I don’t have brown food coloring so I made it blue like the color of uniform! Down below is the recipe for the Cookie then for the Royal Icing.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- Medium Circle cookie cutter
- small circle Cookie cutter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add in extract and eggs
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, until mixed
- Place dough out on a rolling surface
- LIGHTLY sprinkle with flour, IF necessary, to reduce sticking (too much flour can make the dough crumbly)
- Knead dough, and roll out to a 1/4 thickness
- Cut cookies into a circle then using a smaller circle cut out centers of the larger circle
- Bake for 6-8 minutes
- Let sit for 30 minutes or until cool.
- While cooling make Royal Icing ( Directions below )
- After cookies have cooled using a piping bag. Pipe Icing between the large circle and the smaller inner circle.
- Use a toothpick to smooth out the icing.
- Sprinkle on sprinkles.
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tbls Milk ( almond, rice, soy, cow )
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- add water if needed for thinning
- 1-2 drops of Brown or Blue Food coloring
- Add confectioner’s sugar and Milk to bowl
- Using Mixer mix until mostly lump free.
- Add corn syrup and Extract
- Continue to mix until smooth for about 45 seconds – 1 Minutes
- * If its too thick add water by the tsp ( a little goes a long way ) if it’s to thin add more confectioners sugar.
Note: Royal Icing should somewhat hold its shape for a count of 10 This will make a perfect consistency for cookies.
For my first time making these cookies, I loved it! I’m now thinking of making Beauty and The Beast Inspired cookies for my upcoming wedding in April of 2018! Did you try to make them? How did it work out? Leave a comment down below and let me know!